Friday 26 April 2013

LIM 116/ 10 min. Craft Dash 16

Wow! I saw an idea on Less is More today that really inspired me. It was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments. I'm more than a little pressed for time this week, but was compelled to join in on the fun, so I thought why not try to do this technique in a 10 minute format?

Here is the card Chrissie posted that has me gobsmacked:

See how the same image is stamped on the card base, and again on the popped up die cut sentiment? It's a cool effect. Simple, yet striking. My favourite combination!

I thought I would try it using the color combo for the latest 10 Minute Craft Dash Challenge seen here:
CD_16
Here is my take on this technique:

I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to get the placement just right. In the interest of speed, I stamped the entire image with a green ink pad, then "erased" the green from the flowers with a blender pen, and colored them with a purple marker before stamping. The rhinestones are colored with a melon marker.

This picture from last night is a tad dark, but in this lighting, without the flash, you can really see the shadows which highlight the popped up sentiment.

I'm not entirely sure this card is really "done", but that's all I had time for in 10 minutes. Well, 9 and a half, but I couldn't think of what I could add to it in half a minute that would be an improvement, so I left well enough alone. I could have rounded a corner or two, but don't think that's the answer. I also considered adding some embossed lines, or embossing a texture on the bottom third, but wasn't totally sold on either idea. Sometimes simpler is better, so I'll just leave it for now.

I really did enjoy this technique, and I think I will be using it again soon.

Thanks for stopping by,
T

Supplies
SU: just believe, wild wasabi/lovely lilac/melon mambo inks
PTI: white stampers select cs, wonderful words die and stamps
other: Recollections rhinestones, Scotch foam tape

10 comments:

  1. really beautiful card, gorgeous colours & a great tip about using a blender pen to 'remove' some of the colour! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful, I'm glad you were so inspired, I'm sure you'll use the technique lots more.
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed you could execute this technique in under 10 minutes! I saw the same post at Less is More and thought about trying it, but thought it would take me FOREVER...
    I think your card is perfect as it is. Let the shadowed sentiment take centre stage. The addition of the challenge colours looks like spring flowers showing through the snow--I was in Brandon MB last week, and there was still plenty of that out your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tons of snow. There's a lot of bare grass in our front yard, but a drift that's over 6 ft. deep in the back! With temps in the teens this weekend, it should shrink dramatically.

      I think it would be impossible to do this technique quickly with individual letter die cuts, or multi-stamp backgrounds. I purposely picked a one piece word die and single stamp to keep things as simple as possible. And my sentiments would be straighter if I wasn't rushing!

      Delete
  4. OMG, Tanis, talk about impressed and inspired! Your card is stah-unning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAB, FAB card Tanis - SUPER fast too!
    So glad you joined in the fun at the 10 Minute Craft Dash - hope to see you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cool! I think I might need a video to see how you did that :)
    Thanks for joining us at the 10 Minute Craft Dash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I've never done a video. I think I'd have to clean up my craft room first! For the Craft Dash, I usually spread out everything I need on the living room floor.

    ReplyDelete