Friday 16 August 2013

Muse #30

I was completely smitten with the gorgeous card created by Therese Calvird for the Muse challenge this week, so I couldn't resist playing along. I don't have the birds on a wire that she used, or anything of a similar style, but what I really loved about her card was the beautiful colors, and the contrast of the silhouetted image, so that's what I chose to focus on.

I tried embossing a silhouette in espresso and sponging on some color. The dimensions of this wheat image left a lot of open real estate that seemed to cry out for a little embellishment, so I decided to add water droplets like Therese did for texture, and a bit of raffia for a rustic touch.
Did you know that you can curl raffia like gift wrapping ribbon? I discovered it by accident several years ago. I must warn you that it's a little unpredictable, and takes a bit of patience to get just the right amount of curl and get it going in the direction you want it to go! Also, I recommend using the back of your scissors rather than the sharp side, and be gentle so it doesn't break off much shorter than you would like.
Some of the water droplets are a little larger than I would like, but all in all, I'm happy with the effect. I was a little reluctant to try it because I was really happy with the colors, and afraid I was going to make a mess of it and have to start all over again. I find it's often best to just dive right in and see what happens. The results are usually a pleasant surprise, and if not, there's lots more paper where that came from!

Before I sign off, I give you a peek at the project that inspired this post.

Isn't it amazing? Thanks for the inspiration, Therese!

Thanks for stopping by,
T

Supplies
SU: white and espresso cardstock, pool party/pear/daffodil/tangerine inks, espresso emboss powder
PTI: signature greetings II, ocean tides ink
Inkadinkado: meadow stamp set
Other: Versamark ink, raffia

12 comments:

  1. Very pretty card, love the larger water droplets and the raffia!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is beautiful! I love the water droplets and that raffia is a perfect accent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your card - the colours are gorgeous and the raffia is such a perfect touch! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! great job with the background, it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've managed to make it dramatic and understated at the same time - love this! Thanks for playing with this week's Muse, Tanis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is incredible! Love the spatters in the background and the curled raffia is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a gorgeous card--perfect for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card! Love the curled raffia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card looks great too! I wasn't brave enough to risk the water drops, but yours look so good that I will try it next time for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. bbeautiful card, I like your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your colours and take on the Muse.

    ReplyDelete