Saturday 1 February 2014

Muse #52/ MIM#150

Hi there,
If you've seen either of my previous posts this week, you'll know that I'm on a bit of a vellum kick, using up leftover pieces from my scrap folder. Well, I've taken it to a whole other level today, cutting 5 elements from vellum! I made a card that I think I may use for Valentine's Day, though it is certainly not in traditional Valentine's colors. The layout for my project was inspired by this week's Muse challenge, while the idea to make the focal point a framed window with a die cut "screen" behind it came from Melissa Phillips on PTI's current Make it Monday challenge. I wasn't sure when I started that I would actually incorporate all of these elements onto one card, but it worked out thanks to the subtlety of the vellum parts.

Here's the beautiful card created by Marion Vagg that kicked off this design.

I especially loved the monochromatic border at the bottom of Marion's card, which is what got me thinking about using vellum to die cut a border. I also love the pop of color from the flower and really wanted to capture that in my project, but I opted to use a butterfly instead, which seems a tad less feminine, especially when done in a blue and green color scheme.
This is the example posted by Melissa for Make It Monday of the window screen technique.
17
Her screen has a much bolder texture than mine, partly because the white on blue really makes it stand out. Here's a closer look at the texture of my window screen.
I opted to attach my card front to a glossy white card base to contrast with the matte texture of the vellum so it wouldn't blend in too much.

Hopefully my hubby will love this card. My dirty little secret is that I like to give him the cards I'm not ready to part with so they can continue to live at our house! We'll see if I end up coming up with another idea before the 14th? If so, I could still give him this one for our anniversary in March.

Thanks for stopping by,
T

Supplies
Cardstock: limeade ice (PTI), smoky slate and bermuda bay (SU), glossy white (freebies from my neighbour), vellum (Recollections)
Stamps: turning a new leaf, script sentiments (PTI)
Ink: smoky slate, bermuda bay (SU)
Dies: layerz and mat stack 3, heart and xoxo border dies (PTI), piestra tile (memory box)
Punches: elegant and bitty butterflies (SU)
Other: rhinestones (SU)

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous design, love the colors, so fresh and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, so, so pretty! Love all the vellum - it adds so much interest without 'crowding'! Thanks so much for joining us at Muse this week, Tanis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card - love all the vellum, especially as the screen in the window! At first glance I thought you had embossed the pattern - the vellum gives terrific texture to the card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Love the use of all of the velum and your colours are fabulous! I love each and every element and detail you put into this card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty. I love your color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous, Tanis ... I love all the different elements in vellum, beautifully set off by the bold colour palette! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete